Friday 15 June 2012

The Brand that is.........cripes, ME? Really?

I read Thing 3, and the attached articles with a mix of dread, interest, denial and then acceptance. I know from my own experience that when you apply for a job, the first thing any HR person or interviewer will do is Google you. I have had a Linked In account for months, but it had virtually no information about me until I looked again at it because of 23 Things. I then discovered that my (empty) profile had been viewed a number of times by those who interviewed me for a position I applied for. That empty profile (now amended) could not have made a good impression.

However, I'm first and foremost a Librarian. Sales and Marketing, especially of "me", don't sit comfortably on my shoulders, hence the dread and denial.

I attended a lms supplier open day recently, when a major part of the company's presentation was about how to use their software to market your services more effectively. The cynic in me thought "well, they are watching libraries close, downsize, cut services, hence their potential market place shrink as a consequence, therefore it is in their interests that as a profession, we sell ourselves and our services better". Whilst this maybe true, it is also right that we learn how to effectively sell our services to our customers and clients, but also to our fund holders and bill payers, and use whatever means and statistics we have at out disposal to do this.  Hence the acceptance.

So, what about the interest? There's clearly no right way to market yourself - approaches vary between individuals, some who keep their professional and private online presence separate and some who merge the two, to greater or lesser degrees.  It has taken me a while to write this blog about Thing 3 because I have taken the time to consider other peoples experiences and musings on what they have done. But most importantly, I felt I needed a better understanding of the tools I could use to create my "brand" before I settled on the approach I hoped would be right for me. I have made sure my Linked In Profile is updated and have slowly and gingerly added contacts. I have looked in more depth at Twitter, and considered this blog. The name is not ideal for a professional presence or brand. But I created it at the request of 23 Things, and as it is to be for learning and reflecting on my cpd23 progress, I am happy to live with this for now, and maybe create a more professional blog "brand" in the future.

Name is the big problem. In the sixties, my parents did not have the foresight to gift me a name with obvious 21st century brand potential, unlike will.i.am's parents. Pity.

Still, I'll wait. Inspiration may strike. When, and if, it does, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment